Friday, July 24, 2009

Botany Bay National Park with Boat Harbour Detour

I really like the south part of the Botany Bay national park, I used to go there a lot last summer. Despite of the peninsula having some of the heaviest industry in Sydney it also have some good quality coastal bush with some excellent wildlife and (probably because of all the heavy industry) you can bushwalk around down there without bumping into other punters all the time. With the added excitement of a sure Grass Owl tick it was a easy choice to start up the mighty Magna and head out of Coogee with the shiny bonnet pointing southwards ... also it would be one of my last chances of gaining a bird on my WA born American ticking machine sweetheart :-D

Wonderful day! 23 degrees is very good performance considering we are mid winter. Not a cloud in the sky, giving excellent conditions for the (slightly) light-hungry Bigma. I added in a little detour to Boat Harbour, trying to do a few close-up "portraits" of some of the feathery residents, while the light was still good.


Great area down there, lots of different habitats in close proximity to each other; heath, reef, cliffs, beach and scrubby bush all mixed together making it a great place to walk around. Used nearly 6 hours before I had accomplished everything I had set out to do and managed to get some of my sharpest bird pictures thanks to the quality of the afternoon light :-)

I will have to work my way through the rest of the pictures and might try to update the Picasa album later, but this will have to do for now.

No comments: